Wednesday, May 20, 2009

It's in the ABC's of growing up...


These past few weeks have been exhausting. School ended, work at LearningRX really picked up, and a million things had to be done. Frankly, I reached my limit when it came to commitments, meetings, and responsibilities.

In addition to all of this, my dear sweet friend Linda Walter passed away. Linda was the Assistant to the Director at my school this past year. I don't really like using that title when describing my relationship to her, because really, she was so much more than that. Linda was the first person I ever met at Coram Deo. Her dry, sharp sense of humor took me off-guard, and I really thought she didn't like me. In time, however, I learned to understand her and the unique way that she loved others. 

Over the course of this past year she became one most influential people in my life at school. As a first year teacher, I had my moments of cluelessness and probably really got on her nerves. If I did, she never showed it. Her sarcastic comments and fake hate always made me laugh. I found that once I really understood her, those gestures made me feel so loved and accepted, not put down or unwanted.

In early winter Linda went in for tests because of stomach problems she had been having. It turned out that she had a tumor. In late February, at a tear-soaked faculty meeting, she informed us all that the doctors had given her only 6 months to live. Her peace and faith in God were astounding. She didn't want chemo. She knew it was inoperable. She trusted that the Lord knew what He was doing and would carry her home when the time came.

The following months were filled with grief and confusion for me. It was so strange to me to already be grieving someone who was still living and an active part of my life. She knew how much I loved hearts, and one day brought me heart earrings and a heart necklace. "They were very inexpensive and practically right in front of me. Don't feel too special." :)  

Even in her last few months she found a way to lessen our fears and sadness about her leaving us. On the last day of school, she came around with her dog puppet "Spike" and said goodbye to the students. She knew it would probably be the last time most of them would see her. They all joyfully greeted her as always, and after a year of teasing me in front of them about how I'm a mean teacher, she told them to be thankful for me. She told them they were her favorite class and that she loved them. I kept my guard up, smiled, and laughed. I waved as she walked out of our classroom. That was the last time I saw her alive.

I really cry at the thought of not seeing her in the hallways next year. I will miss her sassy attitude, love of donuts, and the way she called me "Thibodeau." She really made such an impact on me and I will never forget her. It's easy for me to question why God would put her in my life and then take her away so quickly. I can only be thankful that I had the privilege of knowing her and benefiting from her witness. She loved the Lord unwaveringly and trusted his plan for her life. I am so proud to have called her my friend.

I hope I go with that kind of grace and dignity. And I definitely hope that I leave the kind of legacy that she did. 

 

1 comment:

  1. What a sweet tribute to her! Loved God, had an attitude, and dressed well--a compelete package :) Thanks for sharing a little bit of her story-she does sound like she was quite an extraordinary woman.

    ReplyDelete